Administration Documents for pleasure boats

Your boat must be registered if you want to use it at sea.

The registration number appears on the ship’s sailing documents:

  • Either a circulation card for < or = 7 m long boats is delivered by the Marine Office
  • Or a common licence is issued by the French Customs/Marine Office as being worth the French Registration Certificate + the Circulation Card for > 7 m boats

7 m long > 22CV motorboats must comply with this regulation if to be used on foreign waters.


Certificate of Competence

Two possible documents:

  • Coastal C. of C. Cruising area: up to 6 M to nearest port
  • Deep sea extended C. Of C. Cruising area: over 6 M to nearest port



For registration and transfer of ownership of pleasure and professional craft.

A service by the Direction Départementale des Territoires de la Mer together with the Direction des Douanes and Impôts Indirects. (Marine, Customs and Tax Offices)


In La Rochelle

Bastion Saint-Nicolas, 1 quai de Marans

In Marennes

3 rue du Maréchal Foch


For further information


Initial letters of pleasure craft registration ports


Ajaccio AJ
Arcachon AC
Audierne AD
Auray AY
Bastia BI
Bayonne BA
Bordeaux BX
Boulogne BL
Brest BR
Caen CN
Camaret CM
Cherbourg CH
Concarneau CC
Dieppe DP
Douarnenez DZ
Dunkerque DK
Fécamp FC
La Rochelle LR
Le Guilvinec GV
Le Havre LH
Les Sables d’Olonne LS
Lorient LO
Marennes MN
Marseille MA
Martigues MT
Morlaix MX
Nantes NA
Nice NI
Noirmoutier NO
Oléron IO
Paimpol PL
Port-Vendres PV
Rouen RO
Saint-Brieuc SB
Saint-Malo SM
Saint-Nazaire SN
Sète ST
Toulon TL
Vannes VA
Yeu YE
Cayenne CY
Fort-de-France FF
La Réunion RU
Pointe-à-Pitre PP
St-Pierre et Miquelon SP